We can say that it is common for people, regardless of the work they do, to seek financial stability, but with the concern of having to carry debts and high interest on loans in order to get it.
For entrepreneurs, knowing how to manage their money in a healthy way is even more important, considering the uncertainties that an own business can bring, mainly for beginner entrepreneurs.
We know that when money stands still, is easily accessible and has no destination, it is easier to spend it irresponsibly and unnecessarily.
That’s why we’re going to share 7 tips for investing money and have the guarantee that, when you need it, you’ll have that value available (more returns!).
The importance of investing money in different ways
Some investments allow you to allocate a small amount, while others require a higher value to begin with.
With withdrawal, it works the same way. There are investments that you can withdraw at any time, such as savings, and others in which you will only see your money again after six months or a year.
If you investigate the market, you will see that there are investment options available for every entrepreneur’s profile, from the insecure to the most daring.
However, it is not advisable to put everything you have (even a little) in a single investment.
As the financial market undergoes many oscillations, mainly in more fragile economies, if you put all your money in one place, in the event of a fall, you can suffer a lot of damage or even lose all the invested value.
If you diversify your investments, in addition to ensuring that financial resources multiply, you can avoid dramatic losses if there is any negative variation in one of the markets.
What value to invest?
First, it is important to know that there is no minimum or maximum value to invest, the amount will vary depending on the type of investment and the profile of the entrepreneur.
However, there are some calculations you can make to think of an amount that is ideal to reach your goal.
Start by recording all your fixed expenses, such as rent, financing, electricity bills, water, health plan, telephone, Internet, monthly bills, taxes, studies, among others. Don’t forget to include the expenses generated by your company, such as space rental (if applicable), production costs and payment of suppliers.
Record a cash flow value, so that the company continues to operate, even if you are not generating as much income.
To perform this control, you can use Excel, Google Drive or financial management tools available online.
After recording all these expenses, consider whether you can set aside at least 10% of your monthly income to invest. As we said before, it is not mandatory that it be that percentage, but if it is possible to invest a fixed value per month, it will be easier to achieve expressive results in 1 year.
Types of investment
There are several types of investment in the world, so let’s present the main formats and explain what differentiates each of them so you can decide the best way to invest money.
When analyzing the advantages and disadvantages that the models present, try also to observe which are the most suitable for the goals you set for your venture.
Saving is one of the most common forms of investment, probably because it is available at any financial institution.
However, it has lost space in the face of options that, despite being a little more complex, end up being more profitable for the investor.
To begin with, it is only necessary to look for a financial institution with the required documentation in its hands and open a savings book. From there, the investor can deposit and withdraw the desired value when needed.
- It has daily liquidity, which is exactly that practicality of being able to withdraw money at any time.
- It is exempt from income tax.
- It is a safe form of investment, as in several countries it is protected by protection funds per natural person.
- There are no charges.
- In some countries it may be underperforming.
- Despite being able to make withdrawals at any time, the investor receives the return only on leaving the money until the date the deposit reaches one year or more, i.e. once a year. If you withdraw it earlier, you lose all the yield.
- For those who have difficulty in saving, the daily liquidity resource can encourage unnecessary and early withdrawal of money.
This investment option is a security issued by banks to raise money to finance their activities, such as investments or loans to third parties.
To simplify, we can say that, by investing in a term deposit, you lend your money to the bank and receive in return the payment of interest from the operation, which can be pre-fixed or post-fixed.
In most cases, the longer the application period, the greater the value offered.
- It is more profitable than savings.
- In many countries it is also protected by credit guarantee funds, making it a safe investment.
- It has shorter grace periods compared to other types of investment, which allows the withdrawal of money to be made after a short period from implementation.
- In many countries it suffers the incidence of Income Tax, with taxation varied according to the term of the investment.
- It requires a minimum initial amount, which can be difficult for those who are just starting out and/or do not yet have the stipulated value.
- Normally it cannot be withdrawn before 6 months.
Bills of exchange
Bills of exchange are a form of savings, where the sum of money to be invested can be withdrawn on a set date and whose returns depend on the market to which the value is associated. One of the most common markets is real estate. However, in those cases, the investor “lends” the money to the financial institutions that issue it to be offered as credit in the real estate or agribusiness areas, for example.
- It is more profitable in many countries than savings and time deposits.
- They are exempt from income tax for individuals.
- They usually have some credit fund protection.
- They require a higher minimum application compared to the time deposit.
- In the event of a 90-day payback period, i.e. before this period, the money invested cannot be withdrawn.